Unity Day of Ukraine is celebrated on 22 January!
What is Ukraine Day of Unity?
Ukrainian Unity Day is regarded as an important day in the History of Ukraine. This day is the celebration of the anniversary of the day when eastern and western Ukraine united, back in 1919. This day can be observed on January 24 every year. It marks the Treaty of Unity that was signed on January 24, 1919.
History of Ukraine Day of Unity:
This holiday was established for the first time in 1999. This day was then merged with Freedom Day in 2011. But in 2014, it gained back the status of Day of Unity.
Now let us have a look at the History of the Unity Day. The Universal of Central Rada proclaimed the Independence of Ukraine on January 22, 1918. About a year later, on January 22, 1919, an Act of Unification of Ukraine was passed. This leads to the formation of a single Ukraine state formed by the union of UPR and WUPR.
Unity Day was celebrated for the first time on January 22, 1939. The celebration occurred in Carpatho-Ukraine and later in the republic of Czechoslovakia.
The date of January 22 has a significant symbolic meaning in the Ukrainian calendar and is respected and loved by all the people living in Ukraine. This day is marked by an eternal dream of the Ukrainians-a dream of a free, independent, and united land.
Things to do on Ukraine Day of Unity:
The Ukraine Unity Day Celebrations are marked with a great degree of patriotism and enthusiasm.
Human Chain formation is the central tradition of this day. The Ukrainians formed the first human chain on January 21, 1990. On that day, around 450,000 people united the cities of Ivano-Frankivsk, Lviv and Kyiv. The union was although symbolic, but the spirit of the people was touching the sky. From that day, it has become a tradition, and every year rallies of these kinds can be observed all across the country. This tradition of the human chain is the best symbol of the unity of the Nation and is loved by all the Ukrainians.
All the people sing the National Anthem of Ukraine, and it creates a patriotic atmosphere. Moreover, candles are also lightened to remember the people who have sacrificed their lives for the State.
The monuments of Taras Shevchenko and Mykhailo Hrushevsky in Kyiv are decorated and honoured by flowers on this day. The state authorities also attend this ceremony to keep the blessed souls. A festive event is held every year at Kyiv’s St. Sophia Square. This event marks the anniversary of the Unification Act.
Other celebrations on this day include the musical concerts and performances that can be observed throughout Ukraine. Various anthems and poems are performed and played by the bands, and all the Ukrainians can be seen celebrating and enjoying everywhere.
Numerous political protests and demonstrations also mark this day.
Ukraine Unity Day Wishes:
The Ukrainians can be seen wishing and greeting each other on this big day. They want each other a prosperous and happy life and pray for the progress and protection of the country.
- “Independence comes with responsibility and on Ukraine Independence Day, as we are the citizens of Ukraine that why we have more responsibility to the Ukraine Happy Independence Day”
- “Today we can enjoy freedom and independence, enjoy the comforts and rights we are given as a citizen…. Wishing you a happy warm Ukraine Independence Day”
- May this Independence Day bring fortune and success for each and every one of us? May our country see more progress in the coming years-Happy Ukraine Independence Day!
- We have one heart, and one love, let’s feel the same for all.
- Unity is a strength, and when there are teamwork and collaboration, beautiful things can be achieved.
Ukraine Unity Day Quotes:
In addition to wishes and greetings, some famous quotes are also said and expressed by the people of Ukraine. The main highlight of these quotes is the prosperity and unity of the Nation and various prayers. Some of the famous quotes include:
- Unity to be real must stand the severest strain without breaking. “Mahatma Gandhi”
- So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. “Baha’U’Llah”
- The significance which is in unity is an eternal wonder. “Rabindranath Tagore “
- Where there is unity there is always victory. “Publilius Syrus”
- Not in numbers but in unity that our great strength lies. “Thomas Paine”
Where is Ukraine?
The country of Ukraine is located in Eastern Europe. It is bordered by the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov. Russia is present to the east & north of Ukraine. The north border meets with Belarus, West with Poland, Slovakia, and Hungary, and the south border meets with Moldova.
What is the capital of Ukraine?
The capital of Ukraine is Kyiv. It is situated in the north-central part of Ukraine.
What language is spoken in Ukraine?
The official language of Ukraine is Ukrainian and is spoken by the majority of people living there. The second language in which people of Ukraine are proficient in Russian.
What continent is Ukraine in?
Ukraine is a part of continent Europe and is located on the eastern side of Europe.
When did Russia invade Ukraine?
Russia invaded Ukraine on February 20, 2014. The Ukraine-Russia conflict is prevalent.
HAPPY UKRAINE DAY OF UNITY!